Tax is not simply about tax returns, it’s about planning to succeed
Each year we are required to prepare and lodge our income tax returns. In this we have little choice and say. However, we can have some say in the amount of tax (if any) we are required to pay. This can be achieved by undertaking some prudent and legal tax planning. Tax planning is simply smart business planning.
You will find it is critical that you have access to the right people who are able to guide you in making astute business decisions and also warn you of potential pitfalls. Here at Charltons, our service offering is to become your trusted business partner. The Charltons’ approach is to harmonise your business aspirations with sound commercial and tax advice and form a long successful partnership as your trusted business partner.
Charltons can provide commercial and tax planning advice to guide you to plan for success if you wish to:
- buy & sell a business
- transfer your business to the next generation of your family
- merge your business with another
- introduce employees or business investors into your business
- expand your business overseas
- undertake property development whether on your own or with another person
- reward and retain key employees
- produce a fairer division of family assets in the event of a marriage breakdown (divorce)
- establish a family trust which can be an effective means of reducing the amount of tax paid by your family and also help safeguard the family’s assets from creditors
- resolve a dispute with the Australian Taxation Office including the reduction of penalties & interest
As you can see, tax planning is more than the lodgement of income tax returns; it is Charltons’ smart business planning.
Clients and Expertise
Charltons works directly with clients, primarily small-to-medium enterprises in industries such as communications, events management, medical, architectural services, IT and property development; foreign subsidiaries, as well as clients who are looking to expand internationally or bring on board international investors.
Some of the areas where Charltons provides advice include the tax treatment and implications of commercial transactions; creating effective tax structures; preparing a business for sale, purchase, merger or demerger. We advise Australian companies on the tax implications of expanding into international markets and assist them to develop appropriate business structures and models which are designed to reduce the incidence of tax. We also assist foreign companies to set up their business within Australia in a manner that enables them to extract maximum value.
Charltons is well positioned to assist individuals and businesses in dealing with contentious issues with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), representing their case to achieve resolution. Our focus is to become the trusted adviser to business owners with a view of maximising their wealth creation through well considered and implemented business planning.
Tax Service Offering
Charltons’ main areas of tax specialisation are:
- Capital gains tax: e.g. structuring the buy & sale of a business to provide stakeholders with maximum net cash return;
- Undertaking of tax due diligence (tax health check) common in preparation of the purchase or sale of a business;
- Corporate transactions: mergers & acquisitions of corporate groups;
- International tax: establishing tax and business structures for Australian businesses expanding overseas and foreign business entry into Australia;
- Taxation of employee shares and options: designing & establishing employee incentive plans;
- Conduct, negotiation and management of ATO audits;
- Stamp duty advice;
- Review of commercial documentation for tax implications which may arise;
- General tax advisory.